Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Cheapskate's Bookshelf

Being a cheapskate is both a blessing and a curse.  The blessing: I spend my money wisely.  The curse: I don't have many books.  In fact, there are only three main ways that I acquire books, all of which only happen every few years or so.

1.  Christmas (the 2016 holiday season resulted in five more additions to my small collection!)
2.  Reading contests (they gave me a certificate solely for buying books off their catalog - as long as I completed the contest's challenge.  Options were limited, and most of them were school textbooks, but there were some good fiction books too.)
3.  A generous friend (this has happened once, and I'm not sure it'll happen again.)

Notice that none of them include me getting out my wallet, pulling out some dollars, and bringing a stack of books to the bookstore's front counter.  It's never happened, and chances are good that it never will.  Now, the library is a totally different story - we're talking every week, people - but that's irrelevant right now.

For this post, I thought it might be fun if I listed all the books that have the extremely high privilege of a spot on my bookshelf.  They're in order from left to right, in case you wanted to mentally visualize it, though I don't see why you would, considering that I only have one shelf of them, which is kinda pitiful when you think about it.

Moving on.

1.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (don't faint, but I haven't read it yet.  I'm afraid of Jo/Laurie heartbreak.)

2.  Emma by Jane Austen (who doesn't love this author?)

3.  Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (one of my favorite classics of all time!)

4.  Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (this next book isn't as good, but it's still wonderful!)

5.  Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger Craven (short, but a stirring Christian read based on a true story)

6.  The entire Viking Quest series by Lois Walfrid Johnson (this historical fiction series is phenomenal!)

7.  11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass (ever wondered what it would be like to get stuck in one day?  If you're thinking Before I Fall, I can guarantee without having read the latter that this Middle Grade novel is better.)

8.  The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen (the last book in The Ascendance Trilogy, a medieval fantasy)

9.  Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (I love love love Peter Pan!  This copy is falling apart, though...)

10.  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (it's a two-in-one with a leathery blue cover covered in quotes from both books!)

11.  Love Finds You in Daisy, Oklahoma by Janice Hanna (haven't read it yet, but can't wait to!)

12.  Hidden Blessings by Kim Cash Tate (the main character is diagnosed with breast cancer.  Haven't read it yet, but it'll be interesting to learn more about the cancer.)

13.  An Amish Cradle by Beth Wiseman, Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Vannetta Chapman (four Amish novellas)

14.  Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (I'm partway through, and it's extremely interesting so far.  Amazing, even.)

Unless you're a cheapskate like me, you probably have at least a few more than this on your bookshelf - in fact, you probably have more than one shelf.  Putting everything in a list makes mine seem longer than it is (or maybe eighteen books is actually a lot and I just don't know these things.)

Whatever the case, I would love it if you left me a comment below letting me know some of the books that have earned a spot on your bookshelf!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD