Sunday, February 19, 2017

2 Christian Authors (one subtle, one not)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis is the best Christian analogy series I've ever read. It was also the first one I ever read, so naturally all the others I've searched out, especially those similar to and probably inspired by C.S. Lewis's work, have not been anywhere near as good.  As long as I don't compare them to Narnia while I'm reading, though, it's okay.

Today's recommendation are two Christian books, one specifically an analogy and the other full of little "hints" suggesting that the author is a Christian - a phrase here, a scene there, stuff like that.  I admit that I didn't notice some of those hints, not until someone else who had read it pointed it out, but at least it was subtle.

Subtlety is a sign of skills.


"The Door Within" by Wayne Thomas Batson

This is the C.S. Lewis-ish analogy, and let me just say... it was not subtle.  HOWEVER, I did enjoy it.  To some of you it may sound crazy, but I'm pretty sure it was no accident that I started reading it when I did.  I was at a point in my life when I was afraid that I wouldn't be strong or brave enough, that my fear wouldn't let me step out from behind my shell so God could use me.  And that is exactly what the main character in The Door Within is feeling.  After finding some magic scrolls in his basement and entering into a different world made up of medieval-type kingdoms, Aidan ends up getting involved in a mission that he doesn't think he's cut out for.  Everyone is telling him that King Elam (a picture of God) chose him for this, and he wonders why.  The enemy has unfathomable power - how could Aidan be of any help against him?

Two things I found cool about this book:
1.  The font is blue.  BLUE.
2.  The connection between Aidan's world and the world of the scrolls.  You'll have to read it to find out what that connection is ;)


"100 Cupboards" by N.D. Wilson

This is the extremely subtle one that doesn't seem to have an explicitly Christian plot, though it certainly has tie-ins with Christian belief.  Henry York is staying with his aunt, uncle, and cousins in a town called, coincidentally, Henry.  But strange things are happening in Henry's room.  One night, he can hear thumping above his head.  The next night, he wakes up to find plaster in his hair.  Then he finds two knobs protruding from the wall that weren't there before!  After scraping off all the plaster from the wall, Henry discovers 99 cupboards varying in shape and size.  It becomes very clear very soon that these aren't ordinary cupboards...

Probably the most notable hint in 100 Cupboards is the appearance of the Witch-Queen of Endor.  If you remember from 1 Samuel 28, Saul visits the witch of Endor to summon the spirit of the prophet Samuel.  As you probably already guessed, she's a bad guy in this book too.

The next books in both series:

The Door Within Trilogy - The Rise of the Wyrm Lord, The Final Storm
100 Cupboards Trilogy - Dandelion Fire, The Chestnut King

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, there! I'm always beyond thrilled to receive little messages, so leave one and I'll reply! Then we can be friends :) But. Leave an intentionally offensive or inappropriate comment, and I'm going to have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!