Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Mission Trip to Roatan

Hello, all!  In case you haven't noticed, I've been out of the picture for a week or so, but I am now ready to get back to blogging, with perfectly reasonable reasons for my short absence.  We're talking my first cross-cultural experience/first mission trip ever!!!!!!!

I just caught myself typing with my eyes drooping and my mouth kind of hanging open. It wasn't until around 11:30 PM last night that I got back home, and then I wanted to take a shower before bed because there had been no hot water in the church/inn where we were staying.  Plus it felt really, REALLY cold out after a whole week of warmth and humidity.  I already miss Roatan, Honduras, and am often conflicted between being happy and being sad whenever I think back on it (it already seems like it happened ages ago, even though it was just yesterday that it ended.)  A mix of both happiness and sorrow seems accurate.

But enough of that.  I won't talk long.  In the morning for most days, we had a VBS for the adorable kids that showed up at our door, playing games with them and acting out a Bible story and singing kids' worship songs in Spanish and doing crafts and coloring sheets and all this other fun stuff to bless them and to share Jesus.  During the afternoons, we went house to house in the more poverty-stricken areas, bearing little gift baggies for the women we came across.  More than one person in our group could speak Spanish well enough to be considered a translator, so we were able to talk to and pray for the women.

On our free day, we went snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea, which was a fascinating experience (the fact that I got seasick and threw up over the side of the boat is irrelevant). The food is amazing there, from jerk chicken to ice cream.  God did so much - strengthened us all in ways we could never imagine, worked miracles with the weather, and a bunch of little things that I won't bother listing because there's just too much.  It blows me away that I got to be a part of it, that I got to be used by God to impact people's lives in a place so far away from where I live.  Praise the Lord!

If you've ever gone on a cross-cultural missions trip, I would love to hear a little bit about it in the comments below!  Also, if you have any questions or want to know more about the Roatan mission trip I just returned from, please leave a comment!  Unless you ask something super whacked out or suspicious, I promise to reply :D

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was a great experience going down there and ministering to kids. It makes me want to go do something like that sometime. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a great experience, and maybe God will send you somewhere too! His plans are best!
      And I'm sorry I haven't seen your comments up till now. I replied to the other one too!
      Thanks! It's inspiring to know that at least a few people out there are enjoying what I write :D

      Delete
    2. You're fine. I sometimes don't see comments for a few day as well, so I totally get it.

      And thanks for replying to my comments. Sometimes I go to a blog leave comments and never get a reply, so it's nice when I find bloggers who take the time to reply to comments.

      Delete

Hi, there! I'm always beyond thrilled to receive little messages, so leave one and I'll reply! Then we can be friends :) But. Leave an intentionally offensive or inappropriate comment, and I'm going to have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!