Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Realistic vs. Fantasy

To properly determine that fantasy is my favorite writing genre, I had to have at least tried writing other ones.  And I have!  But concerning contemporary/realistic, that's all I can say -- that I've tried.  Maybe it was just because when I was younger I didn't understand what it meant to have a plot, but whatever the case, I've never gone very far before ditching my realistic fiction attempt in the dust.  It bored me.

Compared to fantasy, but in general, realistic fiction is not my writing thing.  Here's the main reason why I love writing fantasy so much better!

Realistic fiction: still on earth.
Fantasy: in a whole new world.

Sometimes I'm fed up with life.  I'm fed up with this unfair world, and I'm fed up with the problems we have to face in it.  I like to write because that's who I am -- God created me with a love for written word!  But when I write, it's also one of my escapes from reality. (We all have those.)  My point is that in writing realistic contemporary, there is no escape from reality.  Maybe from my specific life and its specific problems, but now I have to face the realistic problems of my realistic character.
When I want to get away from reality, I want to get away from reality.

Fantasy, however, involves a whole new world.  And usually that means magic and strange creatures and other impossible, unrealistic things.  In writing a fantasy story, I make a complete escape from real life, because next to nothing happening is realistic in the sense that someone here on earth would experience it.  I don't feel like I'm in 21st century America when I'm writing it, and that is exactly what I want.

Which is your favorite writing genre, and why?  I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, there! I'm always beyond thrilled to receive little messages, so leave one and I'll reply! Then we can be friends :) But. Leave an intentionally offensive or inappropriate comment, and I'm going to have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!