Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag was a popular tag in the book blogosphere a while back, and it looks fun, so I thought I'd do it myself! :D  Honestly, I have no idea what the whole "thanks for tagging me for these" means.  Like, at all.  What I do know is there's no way I'll get in trouble with the government if I do a tag without being "tagged" for it.  Am I making any sense to you?  If any of you awesome readers know about tags, I BEG you to enlighten me via a comment!

Let the filling out of my first tag begin. *cracks knuckles and gracefully positions fingers over keyboard*

1.  What is a popular book that you didn't like?

I'm going to go with Allegiant.  Divergent was awesome, Insurgent was eh, and then Allegiant was PAINFUL.  Way too many cuss words (fall flat on face), way too much science-y stuff that didn't make sense (begin convulsing), and way too much Fourtris grossness!!! (convulse straight off a cliff)  And that ending... WHHHHYYYYYY?

2.  How about a book series that everyone hates but you love?

I can't think of one, but a series that not too many people seem to know about/are interested in is The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick.  Look, I know it sounds stupid, but contemporary realistic is my least favorite general book genre, and yet I really like Mother-Daughter Book Club!

3.  Have you ever come across a love triangle where the main character ends up with the person you didn't want them to end up with?

Michael Vey and Taylor Ridley from Richard Paul Evans' Michael Vey series don't have much competition, but that's exactly the problem. Michael?  I wanna marry him!  But Taylor?  She's such a brat.  In my opinion, she doesn't deserve him at all, and he should probably ditch her for Cassy.

4.  What is a popular book genre that you rarely reach for?

Definitely historical fiction.  I sometimes read it, and enjoy what I read more often than not, but for some reason the genre just doesn't appeal to me.

5.  Which popular beloved character did you not like?

Tobias Eaton.  What do fangirls love so much about that guy???  He's... a jerk!  I see so much, "Ahhhhh!!  Tobias is sooooo amazing!", followed by a string of fangirl gibberish.  For example: djcndjfirghticsnejfjrfdsw!!!  But I can tell you right now that Tobias Eaton does NOT deserve fangirl gibberish.  He's selfish and annoying, and did I mention he's a jerk?

I will say, however, that Theo James made him look much cooler than I imagined him in the book, and so that was a plus for the movie.


6.  Who is a popular author you can't seem to get into?

Let's go with Kiera Cass.  First, I tried The Selection series.  Intriguing plot, but it was too romantic too soon, so I stopped.  Next I tried The Siren, but the Ocean was talking to those girls and kinda sorta running their lives, so that was weird.  Let's just say that none of Kiera Cass's books have clicked for me, like at all.

7.  Which popular trope are you tired of seeing?

This cliché cycle: They fall in love, manage to become a couple, then lose their mutual trust and almost their relationship.  But finally they talk it out and the mutual trust returns.  Yay. Usually, though, they begin to get suspicious of each other again.  "Must we always keep secrets from each other, love?"  Puh-leaze!  The lack of mutual trust is so annoying, and so overused.  Example: Allegiant

8.  How about a popular series that you have no interest in reading?

That's a no-brainer: Harry Potter.  In certain cases, a wizard being present is not a problem, like in The Lord of the Rings.  But wizardry is something I try to be very careful of in books, and Harry Potter is a series I will never read because the focus is SO on the magic and the incantations and everything that it's just... no.  Just no.  I know I'm pretty much alone, except for a few fellow Christian friends, but the point is that I show 0% interest in reading this series.

Now I can see why this tag is called "Unpopular Opinions."


9.  The book is always better than the movie, they say.  But ALWAYS?  What movie did you actually like more than the book?

Okay, so recently I discovered that Rise of the Guardians, my all-time favorite animated movie, is based on a book series!  How did I respond to this news??  I picked up the first book, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, and started reading it, of course!  And what, you ask, do I think of it?  Well, firstly, where's Jack Frost?!  Secondly, there is almost no similarity to the movie except for the presence of Pitch (the bad guy) and the Man in the Moon. Where did Santoff Claussen come from?  Where did Ombric the wizard come from?  Where did the spectral boy come from?  (If he's supposed to be Jack Frost, I will seriously DIE of disappointment.)  I love the writing style, and it's actually a pretty enjoyable story, but what defines Rise of the Guardians as the best film ever is nowhere to be found in William Joyce's book.  I prefer the movie.  


It's okay - we can still be friends!  Just because my opinions are so strange that your head is probably spinning doesn't mean talking to me isn't healthy for you! :D  So what did you think of my honesty?  Do you agree with anything I said?  Don't be afraid to give your opinions of my opinions in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! It was really interesting to see your take on certain books.


    I agree with you on most things you mentioned, especially with the cliché love triangles. I do, however, disagree with you on Harry Potter. That said though, I do understand your worries about how it's centered around magic and thus why you don't want to read it.

    I also saw you ask how book tags work. Well, the way they work is: you either get tagged by someone or just decide to do the it. Once you've decided to do the tag, you then, obviously, do the tag. Then at the end of doing the it you tag a few people to do it, and thus the cycle continues. Hope this was helpful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's a book for every reader, thank goodness! And it goes the other way, too - some books just won't appeal to certain readers, and that's perfectly fine :D

      Thank you so much for explaining that! I really appreciate it! I just have one question: how exactly do you tag someone?

      Again, thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. You just need to leave their name and a link to their blog at the bottom of the post I believe. They don't always see it though, so it might be a good idea to notify them they've been tagged as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right, I get it now. Thank you for taking the time to explain - I am SUCH a beginning blogger. I appreciate it immensely! :D

      Delete
  3. Fun tag!! Book tags are the best... ^_^ I might nab this one and do it myself if you don't mind. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun, aren't they? :D And I don't mind at all - go ahead and do it for yourself! It's more fun than you'd imagine revealing your "unpopular opinions."

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, I totally agree with you about Michael! (Except I've always secretly shipped him with Nichelle....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE Michael! And I never shipped him with Nichelle before, but I can almost see it...

      Him and Cassy, however? I SHIP THEM SO HARD. XD

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD