Sunday, April 16, 2017

15 Dialogue Prompts to Re-Inspire You

What are you supposed to do when your brain feels void of ideas?  What is the solution when you feel so uninspired you want to pull your hair out every time you sit down to write? It's a battle that every writer must fight from time to time, but believe me - there are plenty of solutions.  One of them is writing prompts.

Writing prompts are for those who want to start a new story but don't have a clue what to write it about.  Should it be sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction?  What cast of characters should I come up with, how large a cast should it be, and what relationships should exist between them?  There are countless other things to consider when beginning a new story.

So I have these writing prompts to share with you (in case you hadn't figured it out already) that I hope will give you some inspiration.  All of them are dialogue prompts because that's my favorite type of prompt :D  If your writing life is going great and you're having no problem whatsoever with lack of inspiration, perhaps certain ones will "speak" to you anyway for building onto later.  Maybe one or two will give you an idea for another idea, if you know what I mean.  Or, you know, you can just enjoy them.  There's always that :D

Let the flow of ideas commence!

1.  "Why did you never tell me about this place?!"
     "Don't get too excited - you haven't seen what it's really like."

2.  "Why is she choking?"
      "Oh, I'm sure she'll be fine."
      "She's coughing up blood!"

3.  "You call that a baby?"

4.  "Most of all, climbing to the roof is absolutely forbidden."
     "Why?"
     "Just don't.  For your own good."

5.  "But... you'll get eaten."
     "Believe me, that's nothing compared to what I went through yesterday."

6.  "My mom?  Evil?  Ha!"

7.  "So how many scars do you have, exactly?"
    "Uhhhh... I think about 56 in all.  Maybe 57."

8.  "The question remains: should I shoot him or you?"
     "You'd never get him from that distance."
     "You, my friend, should never underestimate my aim."

9.  "Meet me at the abandoned orphanage.  Bring the thing."
     "What thing?  Oh.  Right."

10.  "Something's not right.  There are never that many rainbows this early in the morning."

11.  "You call that an ocean?  That's, like, a puddle."

12.  "How's your job doing?"
       "As dangerous as always.  All that sewage..."

13.  "She dyed her hair blond!  Who does that anymore?!"

14.  "Think of home."
       "Okay.  Thinking of balloons, Spandex, and lots of burnt rice pudding."

15.  "Don't.  Please don't.  Not in this McDonald's."
       "Watch me."

By the way, I made them up.  Yeah, I know.  There are no limits to my imagination.

Which did you find the funniest or most mysterious?  Did any of them spark an idea? Shoot me a comment, and we'll have a lovely convo.

And one more thing... HAPPY EASTER!!

2 comments:

  1. #3, #9 and #13... *dies laughing* Oh goodness, they're all so great!! I'm gonna bookmark this for future reference, if you don't mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you like them, Faith! I had soooo much fun coming up with them :D Please - refer back to them whenever.

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD