Friday, April 28, 2017

Monthly Recap - April 2017

It's hard to believe that April is almost over already, but now that a new month is right around the corner, let's recap!  (even though most of what I'm "recapping" was never "capped" in the first place.  You know what I mean.)  Besides, reading monthly recaps/wrap-ups/whatever of other blogs has always been fun, so I thought it might be fun to do one myself :D

Let's get on with it, shall we?

Bookishness

Personal Bookish Accomplishments 

I read six books this month, which I consider a pretty good count.  After all, I don't only read in my spare time.



1.  Scarlet by Marissa Meyer ~~ The Lunar Chronicles is amazing so far!  I love Cinder, I love Scarlet, and I can't wait to meet Cress!

2.  Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover by Ally Carter ~~ Gallagher Girls is just so wonderful, the best aspect of it being Zachary Goode.  Obviously.

3.  My Name is Chloe by Melody Carlson ~~ This one was all right, but I'm not impressed enough to hunt down the rest of the series.  The best parts were Chloe's poems at the end of each diary entry! :D

4.  Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin ~~ I'm going to be honest with you.  This one was awful.  It started off very intriguing, but by the middle and especially the end I was just like, "I hate this."  In short, I would not recommend it.

5.  Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor ~~ Waaaaaay too much onomatopoeia, but The Looking Glass Wars rocked (see my review here), and this next installment did too.  Hatter Madigan is the definition of awesome.

6.  Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth ~~ I personally consider Tobias Eaton a big jerk, so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy reading a prequel ALL about him.  But I did like it, and though Veronica Roth isn't my favorite author (Allegiant was just ouch), I do have to say that she's the best at weaving emotions into the story.  Like, the best.

Book Club

The unofficial book club my bookish friends and I created is a monthly thing.  We draw randomly from an accumulated collection of book titles towards the beginning of the month, then meet towards the end of the month to discuss it.  Sometimes we meet at a restaurant, sometimes at one of our houses.  We also take turns bringing discussion questions to jot down answers to.

Our March/April 2017 book was Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby.  (March must have been crazy for all of us, because we couldn't schedule a day to meet until halfway through April. Hence, we chose not to draw an April book, because that would cause even more chaos.)

I've decided to call my friends by their initials for now, then maybe come up with some cool nicknames later on and get them approved so I can use them here on the blog.  Besides me, there's A, B, and L.  Yeah, I definitely need nicknames *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Anyway, L was extra busy this month, so she couldn't come, but B and I went to A's house, and the three of us walked to the small library nearby to discuss the book.  I don't have much to say because I didn't take notes, but I'll go to our next meeting better equipped.

Personally, Icefall was very enjoyable, but not amazing.  The characters were the best part, and the writing style was simple and yet descriptive (just what I like).  Also, I've had some pretty bad experiences with books in present tense (coughallegiantcough), but this isn't one of them.  Honestly, I found it hard to put down.

How's that for a mini-review?  SLAY.       

Writerly Things

Towards the beginning of the month, I finished the first draft of my WIP, reaching just over 100,000 words.  Since then I've been taking a break so that when I start editing in early May, I'll be viewing everything fresh.  Maybe I'll post about my editing methods later, once I actually figure out what they are :D  I've also started a chapter synopsis of my sequel. Maybe I have the patience to be a plotter, after all.  We'll just have to see how long I last...

Music

I love listening to music almost as much as I love reading and writing.  As a matter of fact, all three could very well be tied as my favorite pastimes.  But if I were to tell you all the songs I've listened to this month, you'd be appalled at the length of the resulting list.  And then you'd skip it.  Like, you wouldn't even skim.

So, with this in mind, I'll only put four.  These ones have been my most beloved tunes this March and April!

1.  "Steady" by GAWVI  
2.  "All My Love" by Hollyn
3.  "The Judge" by Twenty-One Pilots
4.  "Brielle" by Sky Sailing

Awesome.  Upbeat.  Beautiful.  You should go listen right now.  You really should :D

Jesus       

Oh, Jesus.  He's just so wonderful.  I don't know about you, but I want Him to be first in my life.  Above books, above writing, above everything.  It's all I want.

Here is an amazing verse Jesus showed me recently.

"Come out from among them and be separate," says the Lord.  "Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you.  I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters," says the Lord Almighty.  (2 Corinthians 6:17)

This world is only getting eviller, so let's not act as if we belong here.  Let's act as if we belong in a place more beautiful than any human mind can imagine, with new colors, no sin, and endless joy.  Let that soak into you - this isn't our home.  And I don't know how many times you've heard that before, but I hope you're not tired of it.  I don't ever  want to get tired of the reminder that I don't belong to this sinful place.  I belong to the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD