Thursday, June 22, 2017

10 Christian Books on my TBR

Ah, Christian books.  It's a way to give my reading life over to Jesus - to read books full of Him.  Sadly, though, it can be hard to find "Christian" novels that involve God and don't just mention Him every now and then.  It's almost a challenge to hunt down those books that don't just slap on the label, but are Spirit-inspired stories that turn our eyes to Him.

Here are some Christian books on my TBR that look amazing!  Some of them I just have a feeling they're amazing because of fellow bloggers that have only good things to say about it, or church friends that loved it, or Goodreads summaries/reviews that intrigued me. A couple of them may or may not end up to my liking, but we'll see.

By the way, forgive the funky font size.  I have no idea what happened, and I can't seem to fix it.  *inner perfectionist bursts into tears*
  
1.  There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

This book looks so beautiful, I just can't wait to get my hands on it.  I hope that it isn't all romance and grief, though, and it doesn't seem like it.  And seriously, a boy named Beckett Rush?  I already like him.

2.  A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes

I heard about this series from fellow bloggers, and they apparently love it.  After hunting around for more info about it, I'm beyond interested!  Unfortunately, none of my local libraries have it, probably because it's self-published.  Isn't it self-published?  

Anyway, I'm a cheapskate.  I don't buy books.  But A Time to Die is a Christian dystopian, and I want it SO BAD because I've never read one of those.  Happen to have a spare copy lying around that you'd be willing to send me?  *laughs sadly* Never mind.    

3.  Perfectly Unique by Annie F. Downs

This isn't fiction, but it looks full of encouragement, and I have a feeling it'll have some beautiful things to say about relationship with Jesus and life lived for Him.

4.  By Darkness Hid by Jill Williamson

I'm reading through Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book by Jill Williamson and Stephanie Morrill.  In one of Jill's sections, she offers some hidden information about her Blood of Kings storyworld.  Now I'm desperate to read it.  Besides, it's fantasy.  Fantasy is my thing, people.

5.  So Not Happening by Jenny B. Jones

This is one I'm not so sure about.  It looks fun, and that pig on the cover is so adorable.  But I fear that it might end up like those silly Christian romances that aren't much about Jesus.  I hate that.  But again, we'll see.

6.  Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

A missionary autobiography!  I went to Roatan, Honduras not too long ago, and Jesus changed my life through it. To this day, it remains the most amazing experience of my life.  A mission trip book?  Gimme.

7.  Anomaly by Krista McGee

What got me were the short snippets I read in a Goodreads review.  It seems to have a lot of Jesus cleverly woven into the dialogue.  It may be a while, but I'll definitely be picking up Anomaly.

8.  What Falls from the Sky by Esther Emery

Just look at that cover.  Weep over its beauty.

This is also an autobiography, and the tagline (do they call it taglines?) intrigues me.  "How I disconnnected from the Internet and reconnected with the God who made the clouds." What Falls from the Sky sounds really cool, and I feel like it might even be life-changing.

9.  Martin Hospitality by Abigayle Claire

Not at the libraries, either.  Again, probably because it's self-published (right?).  Anyway, the summary really captured my interest.  I predict uniqueness above all else.  And a lot of the bloggers I keep up with wouldn't stop gushing about it.  Maybe, someday, I'll get a chance to read it!  

10.  The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

A fairy tale retelling that's Christian?  Hand it over, squirt.  Right now.  This whole series is high up on my TBR - I just know it's going to be great!

Have you read any of these?  How silly is So Not Happening?  How awesome is the Out of Time series?  How beautiful is Kisses from Katie?  What are some books are on your Christian TBR?  Let's talk books!

~ Lila Red

7 comments:

  1. A Time to Die is one of my all time favorite books! SO GOOD. I can seriously talk about that series all day. I think you'll enjoy it, as it definitely has a lot of spiritual content and it really encouraged and uplifted me in that area. Plus, the plot and characters are amazing!

    I really enjoyed So Not Happening too! It definitely is on the sillier side, and there's not as much spiritual content as you might like, but the main character does learn that God's plan for her life might be different than she originally anticipated, and she begins to live more how He would will. I personally love this book though - I laugh out loud every time I read it!

    These all look really good! If you like Christian fantasy, I would recommend Resistance by Jaye L. Knight, if you haven't already read it. It's another one of my all time favorites! Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaaahh, I need to read it! It'll be a time to die, all right, if I don't get my hands on it soon ;) Thanks for the opinion on So Not Happening - I want to read it even more now! And lots of humor? Yes, please.

      I'd never even heard of Resistance, but it looks amazing! *adds to growing pile of Christian books that look amazing* Thanks for the recommendation, Abi!!!

      Delete
    2. Haha! I have a very large appreciation for puns, by the way. And yay! I hope that whenever you get to them you like all of them!

      Delete
  2. I've read Melanie Dickerson books before. I have read The Healer's Apprentice. It's good. What I will say is most of her books seem to be similar. I've come to realize I'm not into historical fiction, but that doesn't take away from the fact this book was pretty descent.

    Since it sounds like those types of books are right up your ally, I think you will probably love it. Happy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll just have to start reading the series and see how I like it! Thanks a million for the opinion!! :D

      I'm with you on historical fiction, actually. It doesn't appeal to me as much as other genres. The fact that The Healer's Apprentice is loosely based off a fairy tale, though, caught my attention. Fairy tale twist + Christian is a two-for-one, if you ask me :)

      I've seen you commenting on multiple other blogs I like, Ivie, so I was excited to see your comment on mine!!

      Delete
  3. Hey hey! By Darkness Hid is free on Kindle, if you have one of those ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is??? I don't have a Kindle, but my mom does!! I'll have her get it! Thanks for telling me :)

      And by the way, you are one of my all-time favorite bloggers, so I was THRILLED to get your comment.

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD