Monday, June 5, 2017

May 2017 Book Club ~~ Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz


Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Goodreads Summary: 
They told him his uncle died in an accident. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt, they said. But when fourteen-year-old Alex finds his uncle's windshield riddled with bullet holes, he knows it was no accident. What he doesn't know yet is that his uncle was killed while on a top-secret mission. But he is about to, and once he does, there is no turning back. Finding himself in the middle of terrorists, Alex must outsmart the people who want him dead. The government has given him the technology, but only he can provide the courage. Should he fail, every child in England will be murdered in cold blood.
I came up with some nicknames for the other book club members!  They may seem random, but each one has a hidden meaning.  (not that I'm going to tell you what they are)

Barley the Goat
Cashew
Gigglemint

And then there's me, obviously.  Who doesn't need a nickname.

So what sort of things did we discuss, you may ask?  Here are three of the questions we talked about in between biting of sandwiches, crunching of pretzels, and sipping of juice :D


QUESTION #1:  What are you thoughts on the main character, Alex Rider?

Barley the Goat:  "He was flat."  ~~ Yes, that is all she said.  Such an elaborate answer.

Cashew:  "He paid attention to the details."  ~~ Definitely one of Alex's more prominent characteristics!  He was very observant.

Gigglemint:  "He was brave and did his best." ~~ I'll tell you one thing.  If MI6 recruited me at age fourteen, it would be the gravest mistake of their lives.  Unlike with Alex, as you know (if you've read it) or as you will know (because if you don't read it, I'll find you and I will MAKE you).

Yours Truly:  "His subtle sense of humor was perfect."  ~~ I could make a whole long list of characters with senses of humor that are the opposite of subtle.  Alex's was way tamer, and I appreciated the change.


QUESTION #2:  What was your favorite part? (Please be aware that the answers include spoilers.  All the more reason to go read the book.)

Barley the Goat:  "The jellyfish scene, especially when Nadia died."  ~~ Cut her some slack; she's a writer.  As professional killers, we appreciate a well-executed execution when we read one.

Cashew:  "When he crashed through the window with the parachute, and the descriptions of where each bullet met its mark."  ~~ I mean, I guess it's not a total spoiler, but it kind of is.

Gigglemint:  "The jellyfish scene, especially how he escaped."  ~~ She's not a writer, so the death didn't intrigue her as much.  I think.

Yours Truly:  "When he harpooned the airplane and was flailing around in the air as it lifted off."  ~~ Just awesomeness.  It's all I can say.


QUESTION #3:  Do you plan on continuing with the series, or at least reading book 2?

Barley the Goat:  "Possibly."  ~~ This is good, considering how picky Barley generally is concerning books.

Cashew:  "No."  ~~ She didn't like it at first, and then she LOVED it, and then she didn't care it for so much anymore.  Cashew's fairly picky about books, as well.

Gigglemint:  "Yes."  ~~ It depends with Gigglemint.  You never know if she'll like a book or not.

Yours Truly:  "Yes."  ~~ I'm not so picky with books, I don't think.  Almost every book club book we've had, I've enjoyed.  With a couple exceptions.

Let's see... what shall I post about next?  I think it's about time I shared with you how editing is going, and perhaps a little bit more about the world and/or the characters.  Not to mention excerpts!  Ooooh, yes, I'll do that next.

Until next week,
Delilah Red

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Barley the goat's to the point answers are just downright hillarious. Interesting thoughts from everyone else as well. I wasn't really going to read this because it just didn't sound like my type of thing, but I kindda want to try it out now just to see what it's like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's Barley for you! :D
      You should totally try it out - I thought it an excellent story, and I heard that the series only gets better and better as it progresses. Just think James Bond.

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD