Thursday, June 29, 2017

Monthly Overview ~~ June 2017

He doesn't fight crime
Or... wear a cape
He doesn't read minds
Or... levitate
But every time my world needs saving
He's my superman
Some folks don't believe in heroes
'Cuz they haven't met my dad
~ "Not All Heroes Wear Capes" by Owl City

Father's Day is the biggest highlight of this month - a special day set aside for both our wonderful dads here on the earth and for our even more wonderful Father in heaven.  I hope you guys had an amazing Father's Day.  Or, rather, that your dads did :D           

Books I Devoured



These are the literary works I wolfed down this month!

1.  Winter by Marissa Meyer ~~ So ends the Lunar Chronicles.  *grabs a tissue* I loved all 800+ pages of this last installment so much!  (spoiler!  Thorne and Cress are my favorite couple.)  And I'm definitely going to read the prequel collection, Stars Above.

2.  Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter ~~  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  Cammie gets amnesia, everyone!  AMNESIA.  And the author did such a good job that I felt like I had it, too! Plus there's a bunch of Zachary Goodeness.  Gotta love that boy :)

3.  Popular by Maya Van Wagenen ~~ I wouldn't recommend it.  It wasn't very good and had quite a bit of minor cussing.  So why did I finish it?  Well, it was our book club book before we changed it.  Unfortunately, we changed it after I'd read it.

4.  Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan ~~ *gathers all Ranger's Apprentice books into one giant bear hug*  Although it twists the chronology of the series, this seventh book was incredible!  The ending made me giddy with satisfaction, and yet more adventures await. Onward!

5.  Winterling by Sarah Prineas ~~  So.  Want to know what we changed our book club book to?  This short fantasy.  It was pretty good, but I'd give it a 3 out of 5.  The author wrote like an amateur, in my opinion.

6.  The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien ~~ I finally got around to reading the first book in The Lord of the Rings!  Amazing.  Incredible.  Epic.  Wonderful.  Beyond my expectations (though, of course, my expectation was that it would exceed my expectations). THAT WORLD-BUILDING.  And though I love love love the entire team, from Frodo to Gandalf to Sam to Legolas, I have to say that Aragorn is my favorite character.  He's so cool.

An Abundance of Words

I have wonderful news.  With the help of family and friends, I have decided upon a title for my WIP - a fairy tale retelling that twists Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Hansel and Gretel, and Peter Pan.  Ready?

Dusted Red

It might not be permanent, but for now, that is what I'll be addressing the story as :D

What's happening with Dusted Red right now?  Well, at least for these first few chapters, I'm doing a total rewrite.  Amazing things are happening to it, and I can't wait to share snippets with you in July!

Wordless Wonder (Instrumentals)

I listen to instrumentals while I write and am always finding new ones.  If you like instrumentals, drop everything and go listen to these!

"Southampton" by Adam Young ~~ EPIC AND AWESOME
"City of Safe Harbors" by Port Blue ~~ BEAUTIFUL AND LOVELY
"The Deep South" by Adam Young ~~ LIGHT AND CHEERFUL 

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!

Jesus is the best, isn't He?  I resolved earlier this month to give my blog, my reading life, and my writing life over to Him more.  I prayed, asking Him to show me what He wanted to do.  Pretty soon, I discovered the #RebelliousWriting movement, still new but growing like a relentless forest fire.  (My next post will be a contribution to this movement.)  He's also given me little phrases to slip into Dusted Red and a very cool theme to weave into the entire story.  I'm so excited!  

Doesn't answered prayer make you jump for joy? :D  Let's see what He does in July, shall we?

*passes you a cup of tea*  How was your June, pray tell?  Bookish things, writerly things - I'd love to hear them!  Or even better, what has God been up to in your life?  Shoot me a comment or two :)

9 comments:

  1. I love Owl City!
    And yay! I'll be looking forward to the Rebellious Writing post, thanks for joining!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If I could physically hug each and every one of his amazing songs, I totally would. OWL CITIZENS FOREVER.
      It'll be up in a few days :D I'm so so so excited to be a part!!

      Delete
  2. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus til the day I die. Have you heard of Clayton Jennings? I think you'll like him. Nice post and I can't wait to see your Rebellious Writing post.

    God bless you!
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Jesus always, and all for Jesus! :D
      I hadn't heard of him, but it looks he has some very cool stuff. I'll listen to some of it as soon as I can!
      Thanks! I can't wait to post it either... and by the way, I really like your blog!! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm doing some revamps right now, but I have a Forth of July theme going for now, lol.

      Clayton does a lot of spoken word and just funny videos about the church and Jesus.

      Delete
  3. That song sounds so cool! I haven't listened to many Owl City songs, but I've always liked the ones I have heard.

    WINTER yes oh my goodness that book. Was so good. And yes, Cress and Thorne are the best!!! Their whole relationship is so cute. *fangirls*

    Oh yes, the Ranger's Apprentice series is awesome. We need some sort of film adaption! It would probably do best as a TV show...

    Dusted Red sounds like SUCH a cool book! Fairytale retellings are awesome, and one that mixes so many unique ones? Yes, please. Plus, that title is amazing.

    I recently heard about the #RebelliousWriting movement as well, and I've been thinking about joining. I definitely agree with the message! I'm looking forward to seeing your post :) I'm glad God was able to answer your prayers in those areas! That's so awesome.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool song! You should listen to his newest release "Waving Through A Window" - it's very amazing :D

      How did she twist all the fairy tales so cleverly?? It's incredible. And yes for Thress! Their relationship bursts with cuteness! *fangirls with you*

      That's what I was thinking too! A TV show would work really well for Ranger's Apprentice. I think they're working on a movie, though they may have stopped, but hopefully they do finish it. That would be awesome :)

      Thanks!! Stay tuned for snippets... hehe. I'm so glad my mom suggested Dusted Red because all my suggestions before were, simply put, awful.

      Definitely consider it! It's a good way to "not be silent," as the Bible says. But do whatever He leads you to!

      God is good all the time. All the time, God is good :D

      Delete
  4. Yay! You listen to Owl City, too!! That band's teh bestest. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do!!! Another Owl City fan! *tackle-hugs you* He totally is teh bestest - HIS MUSIC ROCKS! XD

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD