Friday, July 7, 2017

Snippets From my WIP (in my opinion, wonderful)

Red

Hansel

Gretel

Goldi

Peter

Four fairy tales come together in one (hopefully) thrilling adventure: Dusted Red.  

Ready for snippets??  Both are from the beginning of Draft 2, which is what I'm working on right now.  (There's no way I could shamelessly share anything from Draft 1.)  More sneak peeks will come, once I've gotten more written in this second draft, but two should be sufficient for right now.  Enjoy!

I've colored the font red, for reasons that should be obvious :D


~~~

“It’s him! It’s him! He’ll get rid of those formwandlers once and for all!” they chorused. Ecstatic whoops filled the square, but as the children barreled loudly by once again, I snatched one small fist in mid-pump. The rest of the boys ran on, not noticing that the strange red-hooded girl had one of their friends in her clutches.

“Let me go.” He thrashed around wildly, but I managed to keep hold of him.

“Not until you tell me what’s going on,” I snapped.

The kid peered up at me with large brown eyes full of amusement, although he continued to squirm. Too much energy flowed through him - I could sense it. “Gosh, Red, you didn’t have to grab me. You’ll find out soon enough.”

~~~


One strange root resembled a braid, like a woman’s thick, dark hair loosely plaited. I crinkled my forehead, but I could tell that the tree it belonged to wasn’t directly in front of me.

I stepped on the root, then lifted my foot in surprise. It was soft. In fact, as I crouched down to take a closer look at it, I realized it wasn’t a root at all.

It really was a braid.

Afraid of what I’d see, I followed the snaking braid with my eyes until it met with a head. Coincidentally, a sliver of moon found a crack in the leafage above in just the right spot to illuminate a pale face.

I exhaled through my nose, straightened up, and backed away.

~~~

So, what do you think?  Not much about Hansel, Gretel, Goldi, or Peter, but again, this is at the beginning of the story, when it's just Red.

My next post *drum roll, please* is my first participation in BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!!!  I'm super excited to join this link-up, and if you wish to know the questions I'll be answering beforehand (though, of course, there's a chance you've already seen them, if you're a BP person) or to participate yourself, then head on over to Sky's or Cait's blog!

~ Lila Red  

15 comments:

  1. Very nice, Lila. I can't wait for your work to be done. This sounds awesome. Is it middle-grade or YA?
    I ask because it sounds a little like Sisters Grimm. I love any book that's similar to that. Really nice work. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I just saw you followed me. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. :D

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking it's either upper Middle Grade or YA - well, younger YA. I'm not exactly sure, though. That it sounds a little like Sister's Grimm is a HUGE compliment!! Thanks, Ivie!
      And you're welcome :) Your blog is great!

      Delete
    3. I just love anything similar to Sisters Grimm. That was my favorite series. Maybe doing something like that in YA for all the Sisters Grimm fans who are older now might be something. Either way, I think it will turn out great.

      I'm glad you like my blog. I'm still working on some details, but hoping to get it the way I want it soon.

      God bless you! <3

      Delete
    4. Oh my gosh! I would LOVE a YA version of Sister's Grimm, or at least something YA that's very similar to it. I think my book is going to be pretty different, though. We'll just see what happens! :D

      Delete
  2. Ooooooooooh, I ADORE them! Brilliant snippets, Lila! I hope to read more in the future!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooooooo much, Gray! I *cough* think they're brilliant too, but I'm the writer, so... :D
      Once I've reached the middle, I'll definitely be sharing more snippets!

      Delete
  3. Lila this is SO GOOD! It seems so interesting, I would love to read more it really grabbed my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANNA! *tackle hugs* Sorry, I'm just happy you're here :D

      Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. It's amazing fun to write!

      Delete
  4. This WIP sounds so interesting, and the snippets definitely have me hooked! It's unusual to have 4 fairy tales being woven into one, I like it!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaay! Glad you liked it, too! It is rather interesting, isn't it? The core of the original fairy tales remain the same (except for Goldilocks) but I think I've discovered a cool way to twist them all together :)

      Delete
  5. These snippets are so awesome!! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emrys!!! I was wondering what you've been up to :D Thanks! I can't wait to keep writing and see what happens to the story... and then, of course, share more snippets.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh both of these are so awesome!!! I especially love the one where she steps on a long braid... *fangirls* I'm excited to see more snippets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Abi! You're so sweet! Thank you so much, and thanks - I like that one too :) I gave myself the shivers even though I know who it is.

      I'm excited to give you more!!!

      Delete

Hi, there! I'm always beyond thrilled to receive little messages, so leave one and I'll reply! Then we can be friends :) But. Leave an intentionally offensive or inappropriate comment, and I'm going to have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!