Monday, September 11, 2017

11 Reasons Why I'm Stressing Out // Rooglewood Fairy Tale Contest

If you've been around this blog for even a little while, you know that I love fairy tale retellings. So it shouldn't come as TOO much of a surprise to you that I'm planning on entering Rooglewood Press's final fairy tale contest, Five Poisoned Apples. Behold the gorgeous cover!

Don't know about the contest? Click HERE for more info.


I have mixed feelings of excitement (!!!!) and stress because. . .

1. I'm a slow writer.

2. I only have until December.

3. I reached approximately 5,000 words before I realized it had problems and needed to be rewritten.

4. The good news is that I buckled down and wrote a little over 7,000 words in the past three days, which I believe is a personal record. As you can imagine, I'm really happy about that :D And actually, right after I finish this post, I'm going to pump out some more words!

5. I don't even know my ending very well yet.

6. I keep going to Amazon and reading the samples of Rooglewood's past anthologies, marveling at the wonderful beginnings of each.

7. This makes me feel like my story is terrible and not worth the time. Which isn't true - I'm aware of that. But still.

8. Thing is, I really want to do this. I really want to have a chance at winning, because let's face it - this is one of the most fantastic opportunities ever. It's, like, one of my biggest dreams right now. (wow, that was cheesy)

9. I know that if I leave it in God's hands, He'll help me. And whether I win or not, I can rest easy that it was how He wanted it.

10. Think about it. Cash prize? Sure, wonderful. But that's not what I have my eye on, obviously. Just think about the anthology for a moment. And if you don't get the tingles, then you're not. Thinking about it. Hard. ENOUGH! *slams fist on table*

11. I'm almost certain my idea is decent. All I have to do is execute it well. No pressure there. *nervous laughter*

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to try my very, very hardest to write FAST. And that's going to be hard because I have this terrible habit of tweaking as I go. Homework: Say the word "tweak" out loud. Go ahead, just say it out loud. Doesn't it remind you of the sound a bird makes? Doesn't it sound... innocent?

*throws knife at wall* Well, it's not!

Tweaking as I go slows me down so much, and when it's habit... tut, tut. Not good, mi amigo. Not good at all. All I can do is put on my headphones, blast The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe soundtrack, and try my hardest not to think about the quality of my writing or look back to read the paragraph I just wrote. It's difficult, so difficult, but I think I can do it. I think I can make it. If I want to enter this badly, I will find a way.

You know the saying. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Wow. Okay, so I probably either totally annoyed you or totally overwhelmed you with my mostly-stressing-out episode up there ^. Please excuse my violent outbursts - these are troubling times XD

Anyways, you're probably curious as to what exactly my alleged "decent" idea is. Well, the story is called...

The Seven Huntresses 


...and I don't want to give away too much about it, but I will tell you that I'm doing plenty of gender-swapping and adding/subtracting (which both the above title and the below snippets hint at). I've also gleaned ideas from the Brother's Grimm version, one of which involves dragons. This may sound strange because there are no dragons in the Brother's Grimm version of Snow White, but hey - everyone has an imagination, and I am no exception.

I decided I couldn't not give you at least a small snippet, so here are two. They're messy little morsels, but I'd better get used to that if I'm going to write fast.

~~~

I heard the snap of a twig and swiveled my head in the direction it had come from, instinctively. A rabbit, most likely. “It was prying. It doesn’t matter.”

“No, whatever it was, tell me. I don’t want too many questions to be weighing on your mind,” he said, and I caught the teasing in his voice.

“You mentioned ‘she.’ I was only wondering who you were speaking of, but you don’t have to tell me.” I bit my lip, torn between wanting to respect his privacy and wanting to satisfy the curiosity searing questions onto my brain.

~~~

When I was far enough away from the camp but still a fair distance behind the prince, I called to him. “Casimir!”

He didn't turn around, didn't acknowledge my presence.

“Casimir, where are you going?”

No response.

I reached him and grabbed his arm. Without bothering to look at me over his shoulder, he jerked free.

~~~

These definitely need touching up, but I'll venture to ask... what did you think? And are you entering the contest? Talk to me in the comments below! XD

The Lord's truly,

18 comments:

  1. My goodness, Lila, this sounds terrific!!! You can do this. I promise. And if you need a beta reader or anything like that, shoot me an email. You know where to find me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Your encouragement means a lot to me, Faith. <3 And there's a good chance I'll be taking you up on that beta reading offer... XD

      You bet I know! ;) THANKS SO MUCH, GIRL *tackle-hugs*

      Delete
  2. OOOOOOOHHHHH I LIKE! Seriously, those quotes have me very intrigued!!! I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated about your writing, but just remember, the first draft is supposed to be bad. You can fix it up as much as you like in the revision and editing rounds!

    Best of luck with the story; it sounds amazing!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAAAAAANKS! I'm so, so, so glad you liked them, even if they do need editing :) *happy dance*

      Oh, Melissa, that means A LOT!! Thanks a billion! Your encouraging words are lifting my spirits <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  3. You'll do fine! Your story sounds awesome!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will? YES, YES, I WILL. I CAN.

      Gaaahh, thank you so much, Gray!!!! :D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, dragons! I DEARLY HOPE IT'LL BE EPIC! XDDD

      Delete
  5. Yay! You're doing it too! (btw, I am super jealous at you right now because you have more words than me)

    All these things are me too! Okay, not 4 or 5. 4: you have more words than me. 5: I know the ending, but not the begining.

    You're idea sounds so awesome!! I am doing a lot of gender swapping too! I think my idea is an okay one, I am probably taking out to much, and adding to much, but I really hope I get it done!!!

    Being in a book with that cover would be amazing, YOU CAN DO IT LILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are too! Yaaaay! (oh, don't be jealous. I'm aiming for close to 20,000 words, so I have a ways to go yet... XD)

      OMW, you stalk the other anthologies online too??? I thought I was the only one, lol!

      Sounds FANTASTIC, MC!!! Gender-swapping is SO FUN, isn't it? One of the best ways to twist the tale, imo ;)

      It totally would be awesome!! THANKS, AND YOU CAN TOOOOOO!!! XD

      Delete
  6. Haha, you have 5000-7000 more words than I do!!! I'm mega stressing a little too..though mental blocks seem to be working. I love your premise!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aiming for close to the word limit of 20,000, so I still have a ways to go! You got this, Catherine! Your story is going to be TONS OF AMAZING :D

      Thanks!!!! <3

      Delete
  7. I LOVE THIS VERY VERY MUCH. You are going to do great Lila, those snippets are grabbing my attention...you GOT THIS!!! :D Press on you can do it and we all have faith in you but remember to listen to your gut feelings and if you need any help or anything *points to self* ANNA IS ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH THANK YOU, ANNA! I can hardly take all this encouragement - I appreciate it so much!!!

      Okay, I shall take your advise. *nods vigorously*

      Oh, Anna, when I read that I smiled SO big and thanked God out loud! I'm so very blessed to have you and all the rest! THANKS FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE FOR ME <3 <3 <3 I'm here for you too ;)

      Delete
  8. AHHH YES YOU CAN DO THIS, LILA! I'm not entering, but I get so excited whenever I see another fellow blogger who's working on an entry. It's going to be so hard, though, because I want everyone to win! :P (and dragons? genderswapping? eeeek!)

    YOU GOT THIS. 7,000 words in a day is insanely impressive, so I know you can hammer out the last part of the draft. :D

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, KATIE! I know - it's exciting! With what I've seen of entries of other bloggers, I just know the judges are going to have a MIGHTY HARD decision to make! XD

      It was 7,000 words in about three days, actually, but that's still a personal record for me! :D *rolls up sleeves* Thank you sooooo much, Katie - I was THRILLED to see your comment, and the encouragement means A LOT!!!

      (and now I shall go read your latest post...XD)

      Delete
  9. This sounds SUPER COOL! As soon as I saw the word Dragon I was completely invested in it (I may have even squealed a little) Anyways, good luck on the competition, you can do this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS SO MUCH! Haha, yes, dragons - though... well... I kinda had to change that up so dragons are way less involved. It was a sad necessity :/

      Emrys, you make me laugh!! :D And thanks for the encouragement. I am now at approx. 16,000 words and I know you guys' uplifting words is part of what's motivated me!

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD