Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The 4-Part Writing Special // Part 3

The 4-part writing special pt 3.png

Dear readers, I have some sad news.

There are only two more weeks left in Julian Daventry's 4-Part Writing Special.


But you know what we're going to do? We're going to not think about that and focus on Dusted Red right now. I have interesting things to share. I hope.

Onto the questions!

Name a unique aspect of your story world.

Peter Pan lives on Neverland - a name which you've probably never heard before because it's from a little-known story. I find my version of this unfamiliar place unique in that it's an island hanging/floating/suspended in the sky. I don't think any other Peter Pan retelling does this, but if you know of one, do me a favor and ENLIGHTEN ME.

And just to clarify, I basically have two worlds. Red's world is essentially an alternate Earth, and then there's Neverland - a much smaller island.


Talk about one of the important animals in the story (someone's pet or horse; or a fierce animal the MC must defeat).

There's a particular creature in Dusted Red that is part-good and part-bad... it's a little bit complicated. I would try to explain, except 1) that would take a while, and 2) a big plot point in my book would be revealed for all the world to see, and that would not be cool.

I will say, however, that the creature is a snake.




A paragraph describing something in your storyworld (building, landmark, etc.).

Nothing accomplishes this more effectively than a snippet.

Several sconces blazed on the wall, brightly illuminating a large wooden table in the center of the room and a system of cupboards against one wall. It resembled a normal village kitchen, only with dirt walls and floor and a network of wooden beams where a smooth ceiling would have been.

Hint: "Home Underground" XD

Something dangerous in your storyworld.

Oh, dear, so many "somethings" to choose from! But perhaps the most dangerous and least spoilery of them all is the Mermaid Lagoon. If not for the half-fish creatures that dwell there, it would be a fun swimming hole. But only Peter can safely dive into those blue waters. In the mermaids' eyes, Peter Pan is perfect and everyone else should be ripped to shreds. I have to say I feel the same way sometimes.

What mermaids look like when they're at the surface and you're watching from a safe distance:


What mermaids look like when you decide to take the plunge (literally):


One of my characters made that mistake, and let me just say that it wasn't pretty. But I'll let that particular charrie off the hook because no one had told them yet that they weren't supposed to do that.


Something delightful in your storyworld.

Why does it seem like I have less options to choose from? *strokes chin in thought* Red considers her village a pretty delightful place - that's why she doesn't want the shapeshifters to attack. It's the only home she's ever known, and within it are the only people she's ever cared about. (Please note that I'm referring to Red's life before the Inciting Incident.) It's one of the bigger villages in Fawood - my vast, shapeshifter-infested forest - and it is called Lenhador.

small shops // the constant buzz of conversation and laughter // a fountain burbling in the center of the square

A movie soundtrack that would complement the setting.


I feel like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe soundtrack complements the setting of my Rooglewood story better, but it fits wonderfully with Dusted Red too!

I swear, this soundtrack has a piece of music for everything. For a scene that reveals something beautifully mysterious or delightfully surprising, go for The Wardrobe. For a scene that involves the antagonist, go for The White Witch. For a scene that is ominous or creepy, go for A Narnian Lullaby. (And put it on repeat because it's not long AT ALL, and yet it's one of the best!)

How does the geography impact the story?

This sounds like a question on a history test.

Answer: The geography impacts the story greatly. :p {insert red check mark for creativity}


Is there a particular location or time period you had in mind when creating your story world?

Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, and Goldilocks are all German folktales (Peter Pan is the odd one out - sorry, Peter) so I kind of have that in mind, especially with names.

Think of the implied time period of the original Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, and Goldilocks stories and you have an idea of the time period of Dusted Red.

As you can see, I did my research. :p


What is the climate like, and does it play a role in the story?

My story is mostly set in a forest. When the characters are not in that forest, they're in... another forest. The climate in these woods is moderate, as you can imagine, and it doesn't have much of an effect on the story.


Are there any traditions, and do they have an effect upon the plot?

This might be bending the term "tradition," but only the bravest travelers and wanderers - mainly lumberjacks - venture from their village into the wilds of Fawood. Even the broad paths connecting villages are infrequently traversed because of the kidnappings. It's become almost a tradition, I guess, to stay away from the woods.

And then there's the legend of the charming hero, Peter Pan, passed down from generation to generation. The villages know that he and his island are real, but the last time he came down, Red's grandmother was a teenager...

Yeah, it's been a while.

Blogger collab 3.png

Those are all the questions. :) Don't forget to read the other bloggers' answers - their URLs are shown above! I'm excited to learn more about their WIPs, and I hope you had fun learning more about my precious retelling!

The Lord's Truly,
Lila Kims <3

What do you think of my story world? What is your story world like? Let's chat in the comments!

20 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I want to read this so bad, Lila! It sounds AMAZING! A floating Neverland? Killer mermaids? Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhh, thank you SO much, Faith! Yes, a floating Neverland! And killer mermaids! (I have so much fun with those killer mermaids. XD)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mermaids have my complete attention now! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, the mermaids!! They're very evil and important and awesome. XD

      Thanks, Gray!

      Delete
  4. I love this so much!!! I need this book in my life!!!
    This sounds awesome, Lila! Keep up the great work!

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhh, Ivie, that means so much!! And you will HAVE have it. Later. Months and maybe years later, idk...

      Thank you, Ivie!! Your enthusiastic comments make me smile! <3

      Delete
  5. Perfect use of the Woody gif. That's one of my favorites...

    Don't go into the forest? Red cloaks? Having some The Village feels here (good thing, don't worry!). But wait... *record screech* mermaids?? With sharp teeth?

    This story world is gonna kill me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Your questions were great, though, Julian! I've had the most fun with this one than the other two, admittedly. :D

      Oh, my, I know what The Village is about and I SEE the connection. But you say it's a good thing, so... *whispers* stay happy, stay positive, stay hap- :D

      Yessss, sharp-teethed mermaids! Gotta love 'em. XD

      You're welcome. ;)

      Delete
  6. With the exception of the Disney version, I don't think any version of Peter Pan has Neverland as an Island.

    And I think killer mermaids are closer to the original legend...kinda cool that that is being brought back.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, GOOD.

      Yeah, that's what I was thinking! Thank you, Catherine! XD

      Delete
  7. I love how you are interweaving different fairy tales. Creativity Plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Baldwin! I'm certainly hoping I'm doing a decent job with it... :D

      Delete
  8. This story sounds so cool and fun! I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I'm so happy you love the idea! <3

      Delete
  9. Ahhh this story world sounds AMAZING!! I love the idea that Neverland is floating... It fits perfectly.

    I'm excited to hear more about Dusted Red - it definitely sounds like the kind of story I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Abi!!! And YAY, I'm glad you like that idea!

      Eep, THANKS. I can't wait to share more! <3

      Delete
  10. Ahhh this is so cool Lila! YOUR RETELLING HINTS ARE MAKING ME WANT TO CUDDLE UP AND READ xD

    I really enjoyed reading the answers to these questions! You have some super neat WIP's <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhh, thank you!!! I can't wait until it's published and you literally CAN cuddle up with it and read. That'll be a long time, though. :/

      Thanks so much!! <3 <3

      Delete

Here's how this works: You leave a comment, and then we become friends :) It's simple, really. Just don't be mean, rude, nasty, or offensive, because *sighs* then I'd have to delete it.

That being said, I can hardly WAIT to hear from you!!! XD